Wednesday 7 September 2011

Guide Through Nairobi's Uhuru Park

Take a walk with me. This is the experience I had this weekend as I was leaving a meeting at Uhuru Park.


The place was a hustle and bustle of activities. It was the last weekend before schools open and during the week was IDD holiday so children and parents alike were taking advantage. I realized this is a favorite hang out for kids the ages between 0-15 years.


Remember these boats? When I was growing up we had someone take us using the row but now they are advanced you just take the boat and ride yourself.


And the cue that was waiting was to ride on these boats was long



A lot was going on from children being taken round in these large toys, to camel rides:





Remember this place? This is where landmark events in our history happen like the signing of the new constitution, the Narc revolution of 'Who can bwogo me?' and 'Yote ya wezekan bila Moi'... yeah alot has happened and continues to happpen here. Even public holidays are held here. Freedom corner is also here a place where Wangari Mathaai and mothers of political prisoners came to demand the release of their sons who had been arrested for political reasons.




Before the era of digital cameras this is how it worked....




Nothing is talked about this Monument but there is another one across the road called the Nyayo Monument





Nyayo Monument
Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia


That was a trip down Memory lane for me I certainly enjoyed my afternoon here:-)

No comments: