Tuesday 26 January 2010

Pearl of Africa

I have been in Uganda for the past two days and I am totally loving the experience. First and foremost the person who named this city the pearl of Africa was on point. The city is absolutely beautiful. It is spread over ten hills hence the reason in my opinion there is no airport.

Now on to Ugandan foods, so far my favorite delicacies are two: "Gonja" is a Ugandan term to describe deep fried bananas. These bananas are very delicious. Today I got a chance to taste Gonja for the first time and I must say the experience was mouth watering. Hmmh.... my love for fries has been replaced for a while until further notice for now i cant wait until my next tea break. Ground nut sauce is another delicacy that I have come to enjoy. Interesting how in Kenya we only use beef stew, chicken stew and any other stews associated with with animals. But here I have had the chance to taste the sweet ground nut sauce that is accompanied with bananas, ugali or rice.

The people very friendly, they speak a lot of Luganda and English. Petite it size women are few and far between.

Hotels well my first experience with Uganda was a guest house that I now cannot remember the name but the service was good unfortunately at the time a few years back they had just like in Kenya the power rationing so in terms of entertainment I did not get much out of it. But my second and third visits have been well, something to remember. I have loved both hotels: Speke Resort- Munyonyo and Mosa Court on the up town part Kampala. These are hotels i would recommend to anyone.
Still here for a few more days and I am sure there is more to explore for now I continue to love my surroundings.

No comments: